Rachel Peng, Book 4

2 Dec

Still untitled as of now, but the project as a whole is coming together. Here are some infobits for those who are interested.

There’s no publication date at this time, but I always try to put out a Rachel book in the spring, so there’s that.

Rose Loughran has signed on to do the cover art again. Unlike the previous covers, this one won’t feature a notable D.C. landmark.

Like all of the Rachel novels, I try to use the most recent book to mirror the major social and political events within the United States over the past year. One of the major advantages of self-publishing is the ability to address current issues in a timely manner (1). It’s no spoiler to say that all of these fucking shootings need to stop already, but they will continue to occur until someone takes ownership of the rationale which governs (many of) them.

And, here’s a chunk of teaser text:

The Agents had talked about what they would do—what they must do!—if one of their own went against the collective’s community code.

Rephrase: when.

It was only a matter of time, really. As pleasant as it might have been to pretend that their collective was a utopia in which different opinions were discussed and thoroughly parsed, that the Good was preferred over an unattainable Perfect, and that dissention in the ranks was forgiven and forgotten, they knew that there’d come a day when one Agent did something that required a serious response. Punishment, even.

And then the Agents would have to close ranks against one of their own.

Rachel had always figured it’d be her.

It didn’t hurt any less to know she had been right.

Back to work!

(1) Am I worried about this dating the novels? Nah. I’m not pretending people will still be discovering the Rachel books in 25 years. Also, science fiction is always a reflection of the environment in which it was written. Might as well use the minimum barriers of turnover time to my advantage.

8 Responses to “Rachel Peng, Book 4”

1. Jeremy W December 2, 2015 at 4:44 pm #

Thanks for that update. I’m looking forward to reading the new Rachel novel, especially since you are going to keep it close to the here and now. That teaser has me *very* interested!

• Jules December 3, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

Count me interested as well!

I’m hoping Mako will help Rachel as well, his anti-out-of-body clampdown is bound to be required with rogue agents in play.

I’ll be looking forward Miss Loughran’s new design. So far I’ve been very impressed by her work, and each Rachel cover was better than the previous one in my humble opinion. I have every reason to assume the trend continues!

2. Peter Emuss December 2, 2015 at 7:21 pm #

Thinking of Rachel, I saw this today about a 16 year old Indian inventor who’s made a braille e-reader: http://www.theindianpage.in/16-yr-old-innovator-shows-why-dropping-out-of-school-is-not-a-bad-idea/

PJW

3. Nyerguds December 10, 2015 at 8:28 pm #

Whoo, more Rachel. I’ll always buy these books in a heartbeat 😀

4. Kit December 24, 2015 at 11:59 pm #

I don’t know if you’ve seen this or not, but I ran across it and immediately thought “If Rachel didn’t hear texts through the implant…”

• Jeremy W December 25, 2015 at 12:23 pm #

That’s an interesting piece of kit! It has taken quite a long time for technology to address the needs of the blind and visually impaired, so this is a major step forward. Thanks for the link!

• KBSpangler January 2, 2016 at 1:32 pm #

I heard about this on NPR, and was strongly recommended by visually impaired users. Thanks for the link!

5. Mark January 30, 2016 at 3:32 am #