Schedule for 2014

4 Dec

You know that moment when you’re all like I NEED TO WRITE OUT MY SCHEDULE FOR… OH HELL JUST PUT IT ONLINE AND CALL IT A BLOG POST? I did not just have one of those moments. Nor is this my rough schedule for first-quarter 2014*

JAN 20 – Launch 30-day Kickstarter for the DIGITAL DIVIDE and MAKER SPACE audiobooks.

I’m keeping production of books and audiobooks completely separate. MAKER SPACE will exist no matter what. Audiobooks? Well, that’s what the Kickstarter is for. Since Rachel is blind, I think it’s critically important to make the Rachel Peng series available in audiobook form and improve accessibility of the story to persons who may be visually impaired. However, producing a high-quality audiobook is pricy. Boom. Kickstarter.

MARCH 3 – MAKER SPACE RELEASE DAY

I learned quite a few things from the release of DIGITAL DIVIDE. I think “set a release date and stick with it” might be the most important of these. Then you can schedule the production phase of the book, and add some extra time when all of these internal deadlines go whooshing past like doves. Or bullets.

MAY 1/JUNE 1 – JOSHSMUT THE SECOND

The next Joshsmut will be a treasure hunting adventure through ancient ruins (giggity). It will either come out in early May or early June, depending on how well the Kickstarter does and how much time I have to spend on shipping.

AUDIOBOOK RELEASE(?)

Again, depends on how well the Kickstarter does. I’ve heard a high-quality audiobook can take over a month to record and another month to edit.

And then there’s the comic, and the paid work, and the home repairs, and the work on the next book in the Rachel Peng series…

Bye gonna fall down for like six days okay thanks.

* This is totally my rough schedule for early 2014

9 Responses to “Schedule for 2014”

1. Joie December 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Are you having auditions for the audio book? Or will you be reading it?

• Joie December 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

P.S. I believe in you.

• KBSpangler December 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

We’ve got a reader lined up! Her voice is the perfect combination of Southern, sultry, and world-weary.

• stephen newberg March 16, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

Is there a hard copy (trade paper) version of Maker Space coming out as one did for Digital Divide?

• KBSpangler April 1, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Erk, missed this comment. Yes, there’s a hard copy coming. We’re in the back-and-forth phase with the printer and formatting.

2. RichieB December 6, 2013 at 10:38 am #

That coincides so well with my schedule for 2014:
    Jan 20 – Hand over money, March 3 – Hand over money, May/June – Hand over money. Incredible 🙂

• Peter Emuss December 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

That’s bizarre – that’s my schedule too. Are you following me?

Finished the preview of Maker Space and want more already. Very annoyed with myself that I tore through it so quickly when I knew going in that I wasn’t going to get a full story.

I’m very glad you’re doing a Kickstarter; it seems to be a very good way for fans of webcomics to band together in a unified expression of delight at their beloved story creators, which has got to be a nice boost to the ego. Assume my money’s in already!

PJW

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. And this is how you win me as a client | K.B. Spangler - January 1, 2014

[…] been shopping around for product manufacturers for donor rewards for the upcoming Kickstarter. One of the big-ticket rewards will be OACET badges. I’ve been looking for vendors who can […]