More research for MAKER SPACE

21 Sep

The plot for MAKER SPACE is starting to get away from me.  The synopsis is: (a) bombs go off; (b) Rachel & co. must find out who, what, why, and how (they’re good on “when”); and (c) red herrings abound to confuse this process. So, ya know, like any other procedural mystery starring cyborgs.

When I roughed out the plot for this book several years ago, the maker community was getting its feet under them and the role they’d play in this book was plausible. Now, just a few years later, I’ve had to up the complexity because holy schnitzels they are doing things you would not believe. You know that old joke about MacGyver blowing up a room with a bag of potato chips and a paperclip? These guys don’t need the paperclip. They would point and laugh at someone who needed the crutch of the paperclip.

Also, the Boston Marathon bombings hadn’t occurred. Also-also, same with the Edward Snowden/Chelsea Manning scandals.

Everything is spiders. Worse, everything is plot-spiders, and they are getting their damned webs all up in this nice little mystery novel I need to have finished by December.

6 Responses to “More research for MAKER SPACE”

1. Anonymous September 22, 2013 at 7:01 am #

Well, for what it is worth, being a long time reader of AGAHF, and finishing Digital Divide and The Russians Came Knocking within hours of their publication, you have my sympathy for the complex corner you have undoubtedly painted yourself into, and my deepest faith you will come out of it in some amazing fashion I cannot even imagine. Best wishes.

2. rjlouise September 24, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Author me REALLY feels for you. I just re-read the novella form of what was supposed to be my first novel and then my thesis adviser put a 100 page limit on me (rackum frackum) so it got massively compressed and OH MY GOSH NO ONE WHO CARES ABOUT IMPORTANT THINGS WILL WANT TO READ THIS. It’s trivial and so thoroughly steeped in gender-normative roles it might well be super-saturated and for all that my writing was good at the time, it’s painfully icky when compared to what it is four years later.

Fan me, on the other hand, is salivating at this line: “this nice little mystery novel I need to have finished by December.” DECEMBER!!!! Even if that’s finished for the second readers and I have to wait a few more months . . . DECEMBER AND MAKER SPACE IS WITHIN REACH!

Author me wants to hug you. Fan me is too rabid for this to be considered wise.

• KBSpangler September 28, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

I actually have no problem with “gender-normative roles” in fiction. Who cares if the pairings are all traditional Tab-A-Slot-B and the girlfriend enjoys wearing dresses and lipstick while the boyfriend is in jeans and a t-shirt? Behind closed doors, one of them is probably singing Shakespeare through a shoe and the other is gleefully wearing pudding as a hat. It’s not roles, but _people_ who are unique. It’s _people_ who contribute their individual differences (and similarities, true, never underestimate the importance of similarities) to stories, not the roles they are shoehorned into, and I sincerely believe this is as true in fiction as it is in real life. It’s when these roles are used as a substitution for individual people that they become a problem.

….. get back in the box, rant. Who let you out?

And yes, December… argh. HOW DID IT GET SO CLOSE?

• Marilyn September 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Man, you’re so cool.
        No wonder I love your characters so much.

• rjlouise September 30, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

I did NOT communicate that thought well. (Bad run-on sentence, bad, bad!) I love your rant (Rants are good – don’t box them!) because I am just as attracted to well-written characters who fall inside the norm as I am characters outside the norm. Sometimes, norms are good. BUT, that being said, this particular character comes DANGEROUSLY close to mindlessly sycophantic (especially in regards to her husband), which is annoying, because I remember all the editing I did to make it clear that she was NOT that at all. I think the problem was the sudden page limit – I had all the right moments, but almost no character development. So, while she’s smart and savvy and brave, she (and he, for that matter) is also hopelessly rushed. Which makes her motivation seem a lot less like character progress and a lot more like I’M DESPERATE FOR A MAN NO MATTER WHAT.

Harumph. Thankfully, the thesis is long over and I can expand and not get in trouble. When I have time. Which seems to be a shared problem.

3. Danny in Montreal October 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

Hey, Brooke. Remember, this is an alternate universe, so stuff like “Boston bombings” or “Snowden” or “Manning” can be adjusted.

And yes, Blur’s spay went fine.